14 July 2009

Kangxi Dictionary Conference and Seminar

Inamorata La Vogdesa is presently attending the Kangxi Lexicography Conference in what is currently called "China." (Is there anything worse than presenting your paper on the third day of a five-day conference?)
The organizers appear to have felt that a few images of a previous conference would assuage any fears newcomers might have. Conferences always have that factitious aura of too-intentional creepiness, but these images fill me with relief that I am remaining in Ithaca, where the scene is altogether, and quite naturally, more informal. I do not imagine that V, as I think I do, has the need to contravene the order! being imposed on the conference's guests by shifting the chairs out of their symmetries, for while I catch myself still and forever expecting individualization to somehow squeak out of any regimented personality, she long ago learned to "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

No comments: