24 February 2010

Original sin

Prior to my buying the farm, I thought it might be useful, as part of the effort of disillusioning my survivors that my intersection with their lives should be taken as anything other than a cup of coffee and a kruller, to declare what I have learned to be original sin. A useful exercise, no? I (only) concluded that adequating one’s behavior or beliefs to anyone or anything else is fatal folly; one must despise all inheritance, and never obey somebody else’s dictates, however helpful and right they might seem.

Well, that’s not a particularly original conclusion, nor, as a former paramour used to say, pithy, but then I realized that this couldn’t have always been the single true original sin, and so I devised this chart, I presume to prove to myself that my path has lacked originality, when I occasionally trick myself and consequently do myself the harm of believing otherwise. You’re welcome.

No comments: